Monday, January 18, 2010

The Shadowdwellers Series by Jacquelyn Frank


I really enjoy Jacquelyn Frank's writing style. She always manages to create unique worlds that I thoroughly enjoy!


Bk 1 "Ecstasy": I am not sure what was going on here. While I did enjoy the book I felt like I was overwhelmed with information. This was by far my least favorite book of the series. A shadowdweller is someone who lives in darkness and can not be in the light. There are different dimensions that a shadowdweller can go- there are just simply too many to name here and they get rather confusing. Trace is the main man in this book and Ashla is the girl. I liked them both okay but did not love them. Trace is a shadowdweller and Ashla is someone with a healing ability. I think what turned me off the most about this book is that the history of the shadowdwellers society became overwhelming. 3/5


Bk 2 "Rapture": This book was way better than the first in the series. Magnus is Trace's father. Dae is his disturbed but gutsy handmaiden, who has had a hard life to say the least. What I did find weird was that is the first book Magnus is portrayed as the older, wiser, father. Then in this one he was supposed to be the virile lover...hmmm. Once I got over my hangups about that the storyline was really good. Honestly I thought I wouldn't like this book at all but it was very good. 4/5


Bk 3 "Pleasure": I really enjoyed this book but I was disappointed all at the same time. Instead of just one main love story this book condenses two. Sagan is a loner priest who has been captured and then wakes up to be in the Alaskan wilderness in Valera's home. I thought Sagan and Valera got skimped with their story. They are hardly in the book at all. Instead you get Guin and Malaya's story which you knew was coming way back in bk 1. Malaya is a chancellor and Guin is her body guard. I liked Guin and Malaya, even though for someone who is supposed to be so smart Malaya acts pretty dumb. I liked the book but these two stories should have been made into two separate books. 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment